Lt. Col. Chisholm

Lieutenant Colonel George T. Chisholm
92nd (48th Highlanders of Canada) Battalion

I might inform you that your department is getting a tremendous let of popular disfavor through not supplying your regiments with actual necessities … Now this all gives the ordinary man on the street the impression that the department is not attending to the business for which it is in existence.

 (G.T. Chisholm to Militia Department, 25 Sept 1915)

While fighting at St. Julien during the second battle of Ypres in late April 1915, the 15th Battalion was decimated as hundreds were killed, gassed or taken prisoner. Most of the soldiers had belonged to the Toronto-based 48th Highlanders Regiment. In order to replace the causalities, Toronto militia leaders were authorized to raise two new highlander battalions, the 92nd and 134th. George Thomas Chisholm, a Toronto stockbroker, was appointed commander of the former in August 1915.

Born on 10 January 1873 in Aberdeen, Scotland, Chisholm immigrated to Canada in 1897. By start of the First World War, he had served in the 48th Highlanders for nearly twenty years. Due to an untimely illness, he had been unable to join the 15th when it sailed for Europe in October 1914. Prior to assuming a command of his own, he was guard commander at Stanley Barracks, which held German enemy aliens

92ndDue to public anger over German gas tactics at St. Julien and an intense desire to avenge the sacrifice of the 15th Battalion, the 92nd quickly filled its ranks with enthusiastic volunteers. As the battalion departed Toronto for the east in May 1916, tens of thousands of citizens assembled to send off the 92nd. The police and other city battalions struggled to control the crowd as the train left and Mayor Tommy Church received complaints of rowdyism.

After arriving in England, the men of the 92nd were drafted to reinforce the 13th, 15th and 45th Battalions on the front. In January 1917, he assumed command of the 3rd Reserve Battalion. By June, Chisholm had transferred to the Imperial Sixth Army Corps as a staff officer in France. He returned to Canada in March 1919 and resumed his career with the firm of Osler and Hammond.

He died on 10 June 1953.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s