Maj. Bond

Major George Bond, D.S.O., M.C.
28th (Northwest) Battalion

 he went forward under heavy fire to his most forward troops and made a personal reconnaissance of the situation, afterwards establishing a line from which the village was captured next day. Throughout the operations his work was excellent. (Bond, D.S.O. Citation, 19 Oct 1919, 3202)

Born on 14 November 1889 in Wappella, Saskatchewan, George Frederick Daniels Bond moved to Winnipeg in 1905 and later attended the University of Manitoba Law School. He interrupted his studies to volunteered with Lieutenant Colonel F. J. Clarke’s 45th Battalion in August 1915.

Bond was drafted into the 30th Battalion before transferring to the 45th at the rank of lieutenant in January 1916. He was awarded the Military Cross after the battle of Passchendaele and promoted to major in January 1918.

When Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Ross left the 28th to take charge of the 6th Brigade, Bond assumed command of the Northwest battalion on 2 October 1918. In recognition for his “excellent work” in leading his troops at the battle of Cambrai, Bond received the D.S.O. He went on leave at the beginning of November but the war ended before he returned to the field.

When Bond returned to Winnipeg in 1919, he completed his legal training and passed the Bar. He served as a city solicitor for Winnipeg for over thirty years from 1920 until his retirement in 1954. At the outbreak of the Second World War, he accepted an offer to act as second-in-command of the Cameron Highlanders. He transferred to a training position at the Fort Osborne Barracks but retired in 1942 due to ill health.

He died in Winnipeg on 24 October 1963.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s